Care: Jewelry & Pearls
We want you to enjoy your jewelry as long as possible. There is a lot you can do to keep it in good condition:
- Store your jewelry separately and safely in a soft pouch. Prevent pieces from moving around especially while traveling. Do not store your jewelry inside leather.
- Handle gems and pearls as little as possible, skin oil can build up over time and dull their appearance. After wearing pearls wipe them off with a soft cloth. This will prevent dirt from accumulating and will keep perspiration, which is slightly acidic, from eating away at the pearl nacre.
- Put jewelry on after applying makeup, perfume and hairspray. Remove jewelry before taking a bath, showering or cleaning. Also don’t wear it in swimming pools and spas – chlorinated water can react with the metals causing color changes and even structural damage.
- Chemicals like perfume, vinegar, and lemon juice easily damage pearls and should not come in contact with them. Never wear pearls while having your hair colored. Some colors contain alcohol and other chemicals that can take away the luster of the pearls.
- Careful with sharp objects, since they can scratch your jewelry. Also, contact sports and jewelry is a no-go, since hard blows during sports can damage it.
- Remove your jewelry if you’re going to do any manual labor, including housework, to prevent it from getting damaged. Harsh solvents used in cleaning can damage any kind of jewelry and particularly pearls.